Johnson Outboard Pick Up

Advertisements

Home Again

The more I looked into the parts that were needed, the more I came to suspect that other parts and repairs might be required as well.  This spring I took it into one of the only men I knew in the region who would know about this engine.  He said he would look at it.  He phoned with an initial repair of $350.  He later phoned with a revision.  I told him to go ahead.  He phoned a couple of weeks ago to tell me that the motor was finished.  I told him at the time that I’d be by to pick it up on the 15th.  And today it is the 15th.  I missed using it this year up north for ducks, but it has been reworked top to bottom (literally).  And that makes it something special…

dsc00004

Priming Engine Housing

Today I primed my boat in preparation for painting.  The outdoor temperature reached a high of 28C – very warm for this latitude and this time of year; it only needed to be 17C.  I hauled the boat outside and also brought the engine housing.  The housing went from this…

DSC00008

…to this…

DSC00091

It really looks nice.  The final colour will match the boat…olive drab.

I used 5-Star Xtreme primer #5424.  It is a hybrid of epoxy and acrylic polymers, which provide excellent adhesion, good corrosion resistance, productive dry times, and ease of sanding.  It was mixed with an activator #5426, and a reducer (UE60), at a ratio of 4:1:2.  I applied many light coats at intervals of 20 minutes.  The pot life of the mix is 1 – 2 hours at 77F. (http://www.5starxtreme.com/docs/5424/tds/5424-tds-2012.07.pdf)